Monday, August 22, 2005

Hello Scotland

I'm home! I made it back safely to the home of haggis, kilts and The Ken.

I had a fairly decent 5 and a half flight with Air Transat directly from Toronto to Glasgow. I was sitting in the very back row, just in front of the toilets. I was thinking of some pros and cons of the location of my seat:

Back Row (General)
Pro: I could recline the seat without worrying about disturbing the person behind me.
Pro: Nobody could dig their knees into my back.
Pro: As well as under the seat in front of me, I was able to put things under my own seat.
Pro: I was one of the first allowed to board because they boarded by row number. This allowed me to put my bag in the overhead compartment before it got filled up.
Con: I was one of the last people off the plane.

Proximity of Toilet
Pro: If I needed to go, it was easy to get to.
Con: A lot of other people used it too and every time the door opened, I got a whiff of their contribution.
Con: People squeezing past my seat on the way to the toilet frequently brushed past my shoulder with their bottom, creating mixed reactions depending on the individual.

Video Screens in the middle of the cabin
Con: People going back and forth to the toilet and cabin crew doing their duties frequently blocked my view of the screen.

So, all in all it was a mixed experience.



I arrived at 6:15 this morning and I've slept maybe 2 hours since then! This morning I went to Glasgow Elim for the first time in ages. It was really great to see everyone again. There was a real sense of coming home, a great spiritual family vibe. The worship was amazing as well. God seems so much closer here. It's strange, I'm just connecting with him a lot better all of a sudden and really feeling the love and acceptance that I've been craving for so long.

I went again this evening and there was a baptisimal service. I didn't know any of the people who were getting baptised but I'm sure I'll get to know new people sooner or later. It's really great being back and renewing old friendships with friends that I've known for years. I realise now how much I was suffering in Toronto from having no roots or established connections there. Everything was just so transient and temporary. It was hard to feel settled. I'm excited for what God's got for this next chapter of my life. I really am.

4 comments:

mandy said...

kenny you are hilarious! glad you made it back ok. you will be so missed. and Gods going to totally knock your socks off...

Andrew G said...

hmmm... I'm so glad you're feeling peace and release from being back at home Ken.
I'm praying for ya...

Sgt Steve said...

Hey, glad to here you are having a great time back home. I hope some day I can say HI to you in your home land. But I don't want to try Haggis...

Linda Hope said...

Kenny,

This truly was one of your best blogs, i CANNOT belive i missed it!!!

YOU FLIPPIN Rock and i am so sorry you felt so unsettled here...unfortuneately, though this is my home, i too felt that often. things are changing now and i realized alot of the times it depends on who you spend time with. Spending alot of time with people who care only for themselves sucks...so i decided, NO MORE OF THAT, and NO MORE BEING LIKE THAT!! Toronto is my home, so i want to make it homey!! It's gotten so much better, i feel really grounded, safe and comfortable now...it's good...

love,
linda

ps. keep us posted on things are going back home...