Friday, November 03, 2006

We're going to France!

It was finally decided yesterday that our three-month church planting outreach will be to Marseille, in the south of France. We had been given a few options to consider including France, The Ivory Coast and South Africa. In the end we opted for France for a variety of reasons. Of particular concern, our group includes a married couple with a young baby and a second one on the way. Since Angie's pregnant, she can't get any vaccinations without potentially harming the baby. This ruled out The Ivory Coast and we also felt that the conditions in the South African location would be a bit challenging.

One of the cool things about Marseille is that they have a large Muslim population. We're going to be focusing on north African Muslims so that we can learn church planting in a Muslim community while still living in a stable and safe country. I'm excited about going there because I'll also be able to use some of my French which is actually my most academically studied language besides English, although I've never been in a French-speaking nation for any significant length of time.

We don't have exact dates yet but we'll be heading to France just after New Year and we'll be finished by the end of March or start of April. It looks like I'll be celebrating my 30th birthday in France. I daresay some of my Scottish chums could come to visit. I think flights to France are pretty cheap these days. :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi kenny, came across your site - CAN'T BELIEVE YOU'RE GOING TO FRANCE that's sooooooo exciting! I was down in Nice for 9 months as a teaching assistant, I love la cote d'azur! Hope the church planting goes well - they really need God down there. Well, they need Him everywhere else too, but u know wot i mean...

Anyway, just thought I'd say hi.

Bye! Sophie :o)

Anonymous said...

so ken just have to say, jason and i are ghost readers and although we don't comment regularly, we are so IN to what you are up to! keep blogging, we love to hear about the course work and the crazy stuff they teach and do with you guys! and france sounds awesome...! it's like great pastries, and great opportunity for growth!

DL said...

Ah, tres bien mon frere... bon voyage! Ca va? A bientot, D :o)

6ft Across said...

Hi ken,I surf thro' ur blog once in a while and itz very intresting to me coz I'm a christian too.itz so good to know that you are going to France. Have lots of fun and hope to see lots more videoz from France.By the way, the blog on poja was real good and could relate to it coz I'm an Indian myself.God Bless You.

Shine Philip

Anonymous said...

Hey Ken! Elinor here. Man, you're school sounds amazing, especially as I'm in the midst of abstract, academic studies. Anyways, I was wondering how you guys are gonna go about your church planting outreach. Like what will happen when you leave? Or are you going to help people that already are doing church there? Very exciting it sounds anyways. Blessings, Elinor