Monday, January 17, 2005

Alyn & AJ's Wedding

I had a great day on Saturday. It was the wedding of Alyn Jones and Allyson Jean (or AJ) Mallett. I was priveleged to be asked to play the flute and tin whistles at the ceremony and it was a great sight to behold. I found it so amazing to witness the coming together of family and friends, all cheering on these two great people as they commit their lives to each other. I have no doubt that they have a long and wonderful future together.

I hired a kilt outfit for the occasion but I was not alone as there were many other Scots at the wedding, since Alyn and his family are from Edinburgh. I was asked a total of eleven times whether I was wearing anything under my kilt or not. It's interesting how people are so intrigued by that question. Well, I can now reveal (maybe not the best word) that I was in fact braving the elements without anything under there. It was -9 plus wind chill but i couldn't bring myself to compromise on that!

In the evening there was the reception and I was calling the ceilidh. To those not in the know, a ceilidh is a Scottish dance where people have a ton of fun throwing each other around the room, roughly following the music that accompanies it. My task was to explain how to do the dances and keep people involved and excited about it. The guests were great and everyone seemed to have a fantastic time!

2 comments:

Andrew G said...

man, you did a really good job calling the dances at the "kay-lea".

;-)

Linda Hope said...

The ceilidh was lots of fun! But the best was your red wig...so awful that it was terribly funny!!!

Cho