Monday, January 03, 2005

Happy New Year - I think...

I have to say, this was the most confusing New Year of my life. No, it wasn't due to alcohol or any other mind-altering substances. It was the band who lost track of the time.

I was at Niagara Falls with some friends for New Year, hoping to have a laugh and see some bands perform to celebrate the coming of 2005. Well, the weirdest thing happened. I've never seen anything like this before. We were watching some band playing (whose name escapes me) and all of a sudden we saw a lift/elevator rising towards the top of the tower nearby with a big firework on top of it, making it look like some kind of sparkler. All this time the band played on so we reasoned it was going to wait at the top until midnight and then drop, indicating the start of the New Year. Well, no such luck. As soon as it got to the top there was a burst of fireworks from the top of the tower and across the river. After some mild confusion, people started cheering and wishing each other a Happy New Year and blowing small throw-away trumpets. By this time the band stopped playing and sheepishly shuffled off the stage.

It was such a confusing sequence of events. I was expecting an MC type person to get on stage and say "Here we go! 5....4....3..." or something like that. I didn't really feel like I was part of the whole celebration at all. Surely the countdown is one of the main reasons people are there. Ah well, I suppose it's not that important in the grand scheme of things. Just a mild disappointment.

2 comments:

Sgt Steve said...

Dude thats crazy. I bet the band felt prety silly.

Hey, we need to go boarding, and I mean soon.

The Ken said...

I bet they did. Still, they probably got paid nonetheless.

I'm going boarding tomorrow evening with my freshly sharpened & waxed board! Shaun and I are going to catch up with Chris & Lori at Blue.