Sunday, June 04, 2006

Back from Rio


I just got back from Rio a few days ago and I'm slowly adjusting back to life in Scotland. The biggest thing right now is trying to adjust to the timezone. It's 1:30 am and I'm not especially tired. I hope I get to sleep when I finally go to bed.

The trip was amazing. It was such an experience to see another world. The kids in the favela were so sweet. They were always smiling and happy to see us. They remembered my name and the second day they were shouting "Ken! Ken!" as they ran up to me. They really do love very easily.

One day I was playing a game with them where they would describe something with gestures till I guessed the name of it in English. (This game was motivated by my lack of Portuguese.) To begin with it was things like bicycle, kite, dog, bird and so on - the kind of things you would expect. Then things took an interesting turn when they said "granad". From their description it was clear that they were talking about a hand-grenade. It brought it home to me that despite their loving, playful innocence, they were essentially living in a warzone where violence and death were not uncommon.

5 comments:

Ash said...

Hi Kenny,

Glad you had a great time, that reminds me of when I went to a little remote village in Romania, the kids were so loving there too, they'd just run up to you and hold your hand as you walk down the street.

Bless you,
Ash

Andrew G said...

Ken,

i'm incredibly proud of you my friend... I can imagine that an event like this one would fundamentally change things.

hope to see some more pictures soon too!

rainy dayz can be happy.. said...

Brazil are playing football tonight but seen as im not a football fan but can't really escape the fact the world cup is everywhere currently, i thought i would add a comment. Do add more pics kenny, that would be cool to see.....James Jordan was talking in edinburgh on sunday about having vision to see more and more orphanges and schools opening up for orphans around the world. How the ministry Denise and Himself have is expanding into this type of work e.g: they are supporting some orphanges opening in India. I wonder if we will see God releasing more and more of us into active work like this. Anyways im in danger of rambling but im glad your trip was impacting and im sure the wee kids enjoyed having you to play with them, hang out with them. Blessings :O) n

Joyce said...

Hey kenny..
just checking out the blog world. Seems like you are doing well...rio sounds amazing!!

Joyce said...

Hey kenny..
just checking out the blog world. Seems like you are doing well...rio sounds amazing!!