Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Back in Scotland

So it's been a while since I've written in here. Sometimes I just get fed up with documenting my life online so I had a wee break.

Last night I flew home from Marseille and am currently adjusting to my parents' place, which I tend to return to from time to time.

My flights home were a bit of a nuisance as both of them were running late. In addition to that, it seemed to be the first really hot day in Marseille this year. I say "really hot" from a West of Scotland mindset here. I was in jeans and wishing I was in shorts. The airport was a bit warm as well, right enough, which was a bit uncomfortable.

My first flight was delayed by an hour and a half. At first I wasn't too concerned because it would cut down my wait at London Gatwick from 3.5 hours to "just" 2 hours. However, when I arrived at Gatwick my second flight was also delayed. It would be half an hour late in leaving. By this time, the shops were all closing as well so there wasn't much I could do to pass the time.

I started wandering towards my gate, not in any great hurry. At one point I took a wrong turn and ended up heading towards a dead end. There was a flight leaving to Dubai, but no other signs of life. As I walked on the moving walkway there was a guy in front of me on a micro-scooter, scooting along. He was black, dressed in a light brown tracksuit and listening to an iPod. (or using the white headphones at least)

As I walked to the end I realised my gate was no longer one of the options so I started walking back the way. This is a lot longer when the walkways are moving in the wrong direction. As I walked, one of the ladies from the Emirates gate for the Dubai flight was walking in the same direction. She asked if I was lost and we started to chat as we walked. Then the guy on the scooter passed again, this time towards me on the carpet. I thought he looked familiar and she said, "That's Chris Eubank, trying to draw attention to himself." It was then that I realised where I had seen the face. It really was the English boxer, Chris Eubank. Fancy that, I thought. She the proceeded to tell me about how he's always trying to draw attention to himself. It was funny to hear her rant. Personally, I would have really liked to have a micro scooter at that time. I think it's quite a good idea for these long corridors.

1 comment:

Annie said...

HA - I don't feel sorry for you at all for being "too warm"! I wore a parka today when I walked to the store. It's cold here.