Thursday, June 21, 2007

Friends - Quality or Quantity?

I finally gave in today. I signed up for Facebook. It is quite a nice system with lots of cool features. I especially like the "Where I've Been" map which lets you show all the countries of the world you've lived, visited or wanted to visit. USA and Canada are split into States/Provinces respectively but the rest of the world seems to be just the countries.

I have been looking through all the contacts of all my friends and it's been pretty tiring work. It's made me think of whether it's all worth it. I mean, I could easily end up with a hundred contacts through the different groups of people I've met over the years. You only need to live in the Marmac warehouse for a year to meet about 100 new people.

I realised that there's no way I can keep up with everyone. It's already a bit hard updating my blog, flickr and youtube accounts before now adding Facebook into the equation.

I want to know how people are doing, but I also want to actually share life with people. It's easy to have a full Facebook but an empty life.

1 comment:

Annie said...

I hear you. It's a lot of work to stay caught up with everyone. One thing I enjoy is to just take a look at photo albums updated by people I miss or people I haven't seen in years. It's nice that you can do that on Facebook...