Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Clotheslined at Blue!

I had the most entertaining time at Blue Mountain on Friday evening. I went up with Shaun and Dave and we met up with Daniel, Chris and Chris' friend from his band whose name escapes me now. (Sorry, man!)

We were bombing it down the hill and Daniel introduced us to a pretty cool line you can take down Waterfall (one of the runs at the south end of the hill) which involves ducking under a red tape and then going through the bunny hill at the end.

After we did the run we thought it'd be fun to race it. Well, right away Dave had an advantage because he was on skis and there were some flat parts where he definitely benefitted from his poles for additional propulsion. The race went quite well although I was last or second last. I seem to remember beating Chris because I cut him off at a corner.

The second time we raced it was REALLY funny, though. We were all converging on a rather critical section of the race. The red tape was about 3 feet off the ground, between two rather solid, vertical poles which were quite close together. I noticed as we approached that we were all about to go through this small opening at the same time, heading in slightly different directions as well. I had a sudden, unexpected moment of sanity where I realized I was on a collision course with a number of people. I turned to brake and was skidding towards the (thankfully padded) pole at an alarming rate of knots. Somehow I missed the pole but didn't duck far enough under the tape and was "clotheslined" in true wrestling fashion. I somehow flipped over onto my front as well so I was left lying on my belly, facing back up the hill. I laughed so hard for a considerable time. Poor Daniel was asking me if I was ok and I couldn't stop laughing to answer him. My right hand was the only part of me that was slightly sore and I think that's because I held it up to protect myself from the tape which amazingly was not damaged by the collision.

I love snowboarding. It's so much fun!

No comments: