Saturday, December 03, 2005

A week in England

I just got back to my flat in Glasgow after spending a week catching up with friends south of the border. For my North American friends, I hope you realise I'm not referring to Mexico but England :)

It's funny being in a different country. Even though we're technically under the same government and all that, it's still in the forefront of your mind that you're different. Some of you might say I'm different anyway but I'm talking about accent in particular. As soon as you open your mouth, everyone knows you're not from there.

I was in Bracknell for the most part of the week and I went for a jaunt into Bath for a day and a half as well. It was interesting driving to Bath with directions from multimap.com. We got lost once or twice but we got there in the end and that's always good.

I got the flights for £20 because I had enough Aeroplan points from previous trips with Air Canada. The cost was the airport tax which sadly isn't covered by the rewad points. Still, £20 for a return from Glasgow to Heathrow is pretty good. Checking in for the return flight they used my bank card to verify my ID which was new. It's a strange feeling to be in a plane without anyone having looked at your passport. It reminds me of when I drove from Toronto to Pittsburgh for Christmas and when I came back into Canada the guy didn't even check my passport. Another cool thing with domestic UK flights is that I checked in with less than an hour to go in both cases and everything was fine.

It was good to see friends again and catch up as well. I never really think of much to talk about but company is worth more than information to me anyway. I'm content to be around people, rather than probing for all the latest goings-on.

5 comments:

Sgt Steve said...

hahaha Mexico hahaha. Ya its so interesting how much the accent changes from place to place in the UK. Here you can drive clear across the country anf there is only a slight diference, with the exception of the maritimes, haha. I love trying to guess where a person is from based on their accent, eh. lol

Anonymous said...

"I never really think of much to talk about..."

I've never known you to be lost for words...!?!

The Ken said...

Well, I suppose what I meant is that most people seem eager to find out everything someone's been doing since they last met and ask a ton of questions. I'm not really that fussed, though. I'd probably go as far as "So what's new?" and that's it.

Andrew G said...

or how about, "what's your favourite innocent drink?"

Linda Hope said...

So Kenny...how was it hanging with the coolest people in the world??

Cho... Great to have you back...well, back in our blogging world i guess...since you are FAR FAR AWAY!! :(