Monday, March 13, 2006

Snowboarding jumps in Queen's Park!

On Saturday night, Glasgow got a fair dumping of snow. It was really quite amazing, especially since it's MARCH! Well, I daresay this erratic weather is due to Global Warming or the like but I decided to make the most of it.

After church tonight, my good friend Collin and I went to Queen's Park to do some snowboarding. At first it was just going to be plain riding on a fairly unimpressive incline until Colin showed me a ramp he was building. Intrigued, I allowed the evening to take an entirely different direction! In case you're wondering about the colouring of these, they were shot in "night mode" and there was actually a surprising amount of light for 11:00 pm!

I was so excited to discover how much fun it is to do jumps in a park that I walk through all the time. I didn't need to travel, get a lift pass or even take time off work. What a great night!

This first offering is a commentary on the structure of the ramp we found and consequently improved!



Next up is a video of me jumping over the fence, using the previously mentioned ramp. It was a bit scary given the fairly steep approach and the small margin for error. If I missed the ramp, I'd plough into the fence!



We moved to a different area and built another ramp out of "borrowed" snow men. This clip shows me hitting the jump a bit too slowly to really clear it.



This was cool. I managed to stay standing after a jump. I didn't manage to ride it out because I got kinda stuck on a lump of snow that was meant to be the down-slope. Keep watching to see me perform a kind of 180 on the ground. I don't know the proper name for it. You lean onto the front and whip 'er round.



This is monumentous! I went over the jump, landed and kept riding! How sweet is that? It felt so good to land in control of my situation! Now I just need to add some finesse to the equation and maybe a bit more height. I love this stuff!

6 comments:

Sgt Steve said...

HAHAHA!!! "borrowed" snow men, hehehe. Ya, I built a jump out of borrowed bits from a snow fort this winter to. Someone had already kicked it apart so I figured I'd recycle it, you know, save the environment or something. Great stuff dude!!

Andrew G said...

ok, i figured it out... the "i think i broke my coccyx" was incredibly funny!!

and wow, your accent is 10x stronger now

The Ken said...

For the record, the "i think i broke my coccyx" exclamation was not from me. I'd rather edit it out if I could because it is confusing. It was shouted by a bystander, not me.

If you listen very carefully at the very end you can just about hear me say "Oh my goodness" just as it ends. I still have a "still small voice" :) (Not THE still small voice, you understand.)

snoopy said...

awesome!!

i miss fresh pow pow so much

let's go to BC

GLACIER RIDING!!!!!!!!!!!!

ps

i think i broke my coccyx"

hehehe

my tailbone has been sore since february

it's really hard to cram for exams standing up....

i need the pillow with the whole in the middle thing....

and a helmet...to go in the parK
(lakeridge has weird ruleS)

snoopy said...

im so jealous

but happy that u had fun!

there's some sicK

railz downtown

...so tempting!!!!!!!!!

snoopy said...

i think if i watch these videos i'll start crying

james made a video in our home park..kinda old...small park but it's better than nothing!!!!!

http://www.ski-lakeridge.com/videos/razors_edge-1.wmv