Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Being Judged

I had an interesting experience on Sunday that I thought was worth mentioning. We were having a curry festival at church to raise money for our Rio Trip and we were all going to dress up in suitable curry-related clothes. Well, since I had lived in Pakistan before, I had my own Shalwar Kameez. I decided to wear that along with my Pakistani waistcoat and Afghani cap.

Ken in Pakistani gearSo, I walked to church dressed like that, not really expecting anyone to make a fuss about it. Well, I hadn't got far when I got a very extreme reaction in Queens Park. I was walking along a fairly wide path (wide enough for a car or two) and there was a middle-aged to elderly Scottish lady walking her dog, heading towards me.

As soon as she saw me, she did a MAJOR body-swerve and walked as far from me as possible, along the opposite side of the path. I think if there was a road in the middle to cross, she would have but given the fact there was only the path, she didn't have the choice.

As if that wasn't bad enough, it got worse when she actually passed me. I was going to smile and say "hello" or something like that if she looked at me but she actually turned her head away as she passed and actually slightly raised her arm towards me as if to protect herself from my obvious evil presence. It was SO bizarre. I've never seen anything like it.

Walking through Govanhill, a Pakistani man congratulated me on being well dressed. I'm not sure if he thought I was a convert to Islam or if he just liked seeing someone wearing traditional Pakistani clothing.

When I was at church, a number of people tried to joke about my appearance by saying things like "I'm surprised you didn't get arrested walking here dressed like that" or "Do you have a bomb vest under there?" It actually really angered me. I don't mind people poking fun at me if they think my hair's ridiculous or if they don't like my taste. I mean, whatever, have your opinion. I think what I reacted to so much about the comments was the ignorance and judgment it demonstrated.

I happen to really care about people from the Middle East - Afghanistan in particular. It's horrible to think that for many people here in Scotland, whenever they see someone dressed in middle eastern clothing they immediately judge them as some kind of scary terrorist. I feel for the innocent people who fled the horrors of war in their homeland only to be judged and treated as wicked here by the people who have offered them refuge.

4 comments:

rainy dayz can be happy.. said...

sadly it appears that is where society seems to be heading. i noticed that being in London and of mixed raced, the look of suspicion seemed alot more paramount. There was definatley some vibes that i haven't recieved for a long time regarding my color when i was there. It seems really ridiculous because you don't choose your parents, your origin and it seems unfair that we as a society are going down the judgememntal route of fear affecting our choices regarding folk as opposed to getting to know a person by their charchter. Guess the question is: what as Christians do we do about this, i guess for want of a better word: Ignorance? How do we not judge back but speak words of truth and God's love within i guess our own prejudices that linger within our church, our communities??

Anonymous said...

Hey mate - like the hat.

BTW - it was me acting like a jerk on that IHOP article/forum about Abortion!

I went there recently - what an intense place...

Andrew G said...

dude, the hair is sweet

Anonymous said...

I have no idea why people reacted to you this way for the one day you wore the salwar kameez. I was in Scotland for the Tattoo festival in summer of 2006 wearing salwar kameez, waistcoat and pagg [turban] which is my regular dress and everyone I met was very respectful and complimentry. I wear these clothes every single day of my life here in the west [America] and have not had one single problem ever. If nothing else I get compliments and people ask me where I get my clothes from.

I feel your circumstance was a bit unusual and you should give the salwar kameez another chance. And by the way if someone does not like what your wearing by some odd chance, that is their problem, not yours. You can see me wearing my dress visiting dozens of states and over 26 different countries: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kennyirwin/sets/72057594142887106/