Sunday, August 13, 2006

Reflections on risk, pain and failure

I was reflecting for a brief second there on my experience yesterday with the longboard. If you didn't read yesterday's post, the gist of it is that I fell off and it was sore.

I was just thinking about various people's attitude to what happened. Someone said that it was time for me to start "acting my age" and that I can't treat my body like that. I began to think about what they meant by that. Was it simply the idea that grown-ups don't ride longboards (or any skateboards) or was it something else? Maybe it was an attitude that since grown-ups don't heal as quickly, we shouldn't risk things like that any more.

It just made me think, because I feel as if we lose our sense of adventure as we get older. Children are expected to take risks, to learn to ride their bike, skin their knee occasionally. However, if I, being 29, decide to take up a new hobby such as longboarding, there's not the same social acceptance of that. The general attitude is "ooh - watch you don't hurt yourself" and that sort of thing.

I was weighing up the two sides of my longboarding experience. I have had three months of fun with my board so far. I ride to church, I use it to get around and I really love the ride. There's something liberating about carving your way down the street with a smooth ride.

The flip side (excuse the pun) of my experience is the fall I had yesterday. Assessing how I feel just now, I have a bit of a sting on my left shoulder, elbow and hip. (Can you tell I ride regular?) I also have a bit of what I assume to be whiplash in my neck. I just realised today that I totally think all the fun I've had balances out the pain I've felt, and continue to feel. If I had never got on a longboard for fear of falling off then sure, I wouldn't be in pain just now, but I wouldn't have had the same great experences either.

Is this a pointless discussion? I don't think so. I think it highlights our attitude to risk, fear of pain, fear of failure and so on. I don't ride because I want to get hurt, that'd be pretty twisted. I ride because I love it. If I fail from time to time, I will learn from it and get up and start again. I reckon the only way you can guarantee you never fail is to never try.

I like taking risks. I think God made me that way for a reason. Time will tell!

2 comments:

rainy dayz can be happy.. said...

Go for it Kenny. Flip in the UK there is such an expectation of "Work" defines who you are but really what that leads us as a whole, we are fairly uptight, and often the only way for folk to become less uptight is to drink/ take drugs. I know im doing a big generalisation but i've observed alot of different cultures, peeps and behaviours and i'm starting to realise that Jesus was not uptight. He took risks but He believed in God's love for folk and that i believe brought Him Freedom. I know im only just learning not to get so uptight and that is so freeing. So enjoy boarding and being you...People love to moan but thats generally because they have nothing better to do.....and i guess as Christians in the UK learn to be free and themselves, that'll flow out to the rest of the nation....

6ft Across said...

Ken, This is such a wonderful blog.
Keep it up....keep going....