Friday, July 16, 2004

Favourite Sounds

I've noticed something interesting recently. People sometimes talk about their favourite sounds and I've noticed more and more how much I love the sound of the wind in the trees. I've discovered something pretty cool, though. It's not just a sound that I like but it's a sound that suddenly grabs my attention whenever I hear it. I might be thinking about something else, just walking along the road and then suddenly the wind picks up, rustling the leaves of a nearby tree. Immediately I think, "Hey, I can hear the wind in the trees - that's so cool!"
 
I think that's something that sets favourite sounds apart from other sounds that you might like.

1 comment:

The Ken said...

Hi Naaz, thanks for the comments!

My interest in Afghanistan started shortly after the attack on the Twin Towers when the US started to hunt Bin Laden and put pressure on the Taliban to hand him over. I started hearing stories of how Afghanistan had never recovered from the Soviet invasion (in the 80s?) and now another country was going to bomb it again.

It was a strange reaction for me because normally I'm not very emotionally affected by suffering in the news. However, this time it was different and I felt a genuine compassion and a desire to do something to help. I just started to learn all I could about the country and maybe I'll go there some time. I don't know exactly when or what I would do there. I just want to help in some way.

In the mean time, I decided that I could learn some Dari since it seems to be the main language. I'm learning the alphabet and starting to recognise the different characters. I can't write much more than سلام, though, I'm afraid.