Wednesday, May 18, 2005

I think I'll buy a kilt.

Since the wedding at the weekend, I've been considering how much money I've spent on kilt hire. The rental costs $150 each time and I know I've rented a kilt at least 3 times while in Canada, possible even 4. That's from $450 - $600 dollars right there and I have nothing to show for it other than a few cool photos.

I can get a full 8 yard, hand-sewn kilt from Hector Russell in Toronto. (Interestingly, the first Hector Russell was in my home town of Greenock.) If I get the kilt by itself, it'll cost $645 which I think I can afford. Then I can wear it whenever I want, which would be quite fun.

I'm going to go with the Farquharson tartan which is my family tartan, although it's not my name. To add confusion, there are actually four version of the tartan I can choose from. Here's a peek at each of them.


Ancient


Modern


Muted


Weathered

I'm going to go and have a look soon to see which one looks best in real life as they can look misleading on a computer screen.

2 comments:

Jake-M said...

You're more of a man than I am to consider wearing a kilt to work. Just don't forget that while it is definately manly, you must still sit like a lady. ;0)

Anonymous said...

I definitely prefer the Ancient. And, really, don't listen to Jake. I'm sure the reason Kilts are open is to woo the ladies ;-)