Monday, November 07, 2005

November the 6th

Rocket! Yeah!
November the 5th has come and gone
but thoughts of it still linger.
I lit a banger with a match.
Has anyone seen my finger?

So hey, yesterday was Guy Fawkes night or "bonfire night" as it's also known. Those of you from outside the UK may not be aware of this occasion but to sum it up, there was once a conspiracy to blow up the houses of parliament and they were caught in the nick of time, with all sorts of barrels of gunpowder stacked in the basement ready to go. One guy (ho ho) called Guy Fawkes took the fall for it, quite literally. That is to say, he was executed for it. I don't know if he was hanged but probably.


Celebrations of the aversion of disaster take the form of setting off fireworks and sometimes having a bonfire, maybe even with an effigy of Guy Fawkes burned in it for good measure, or dodgy ritual as I suspect.


The picture above is a rocket I found in the street outside my flat this morning on my way to church.

1 comment:

Sgt Steve said...

oh how I love rockets...and lots of them...real big ones...with toy soldiers tied to them...and a cat. huh?!