Sunday, September 25, 2005

Cooke'd

Wow! We just had an incredible conference at Glasgow Elim. It was called Seasoned in the Prophetic and we had an amazing speaker by the name of Graham Cooke.

All through the conference I felt an excitement stirring within me. It's hard to pinpoint exactly but it was a very real, physical manifestation of the power of God on me, almost like something inside my chest would explode. It only seemed to diminish in intensity between sessions when I'd go out and get something to eat, talk to friends and that sort of thing. The whole time I was sitting in the conference God was just ON me. It was pretty intense. It didn't seem to be in response to what he was saying although there were key moments when it definitely got more intense as though God was underlining something that had just been said.

The conference was really about the character of God, though, and how we should respond to things that happen to us, what we should ask God. Rather than saying "Why is this happening to me?" we should be asking "What are you teaching me here?" and "What do you want me to do here?" We tend to respond wrongly by saying things like "I'm a Christian! Get me out of this!" when God's saying "You just don't get it, do you?"

Another really cool thing was about God seeing us present-future but we get caught up in our past and see ourselves past-present. We don't think we can do the things he's called us to because of our past whereas he sees us in the future and we're much better looking than we are now! If you have a prophetic word about your future and you don't see how it could happen, remember that God wants to change you into the person that can do these things. The time from prophecy received to prophecy fulfilled is a time of transformation when God changes our very personality!

Finally, I thought it was so cool that God wants to BE our strength in our areas of weakness. We somehow think we need to get rid of our weaknesses but in 2 Cor 12:10, Paul suggest otherwise. God actually wants to take over and make up for the lack in those moments when our weaknesses are challenged. We need to let him take over when we are in an area of weakness.

It's funny because when I heard Heidi Baker for the first time in 2002, I declared after that I'd been "Baked". Now after Graham Cooke, I've been "Cooke'd". It seems that God has a culinary theme regarding his dealings with me. It'll be interesting to see how he turn's the Todd Bentley conference I'm going to next month into a food theme!

1 comment:

Andrew G said...

i can't believe Jon beat me to the toddy joke!