Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Flight and first experiences of Kansas City

The flight from Toronto to Kansas City was really easy going, especially compared with the Customs experience earlier. The plane was really small. It had 13 rows with a total of four seats across. There were two either side with one aisle down the middle. There was one toilet at the back of the plane. A few times when I stood up, I hit my head on the ceiling.

This time I was able to take my laptop and small backpack onto the plane and I managed to fit them both in the overhead locker without a problem.

A pretty cool thing was that I had an empty seat beside me. I effectively had two seats to myself with the aisle to one side and the window to the other. That's the same as the other flight. God has been good to me in that regard.

When I arrived, I was greeted by someone from the Metro Fellowship who offered to take me for something to eat because my host family hadn't prepared anything for me. I suggested Perkins and we set out on a mini-adventure.

We pretty quickly found an exit that claimed to have a Perkins at it. For whatever reason, though, we missed it. At this point my driver decided to take a brief detour via the school she worked at to get something from her desk. It was there that I saw this pretty sweet Napoleon Dynamite-esque tetherball.




After the stop at the school, we returned to our quest to find Perkins. We drove about 3/4 of the way round Kansas City and none of the exits from the highway had signs for Perkins. We ended up using Google on the cell phone to find the number for the restaurant to call ahead. We got there in the end but I felt kinda bad that I hadn't asked for McDonalds or Taco Bell in the first place. I really wanted a tremendous twelve, though. It was definitely worth it in the end.

No comments: