Monday, October 02, 2006

A house in the country

Although I've lived in the city (or town) all my life, I still feel like I'm a country boy trapped inside an city boy's body. Is that bizarre? Probably. One of the places I got to stay on my travels was in the blip of the Ontario map known as Baden. My friends Chris and Lorri stay there and it also happens to be really close to Stratford, where the wedding was.

Chris and Lorri's house is in a new area where some of the houses on the street are still wooden frames and one is still a big muddy bit of ground. Theirs hadn't even had the driveway paved yet. The coolest thing by far, though, was the view behind their house. The back garden was freshly laid turf (covering all manner of building refuse I wouldn't wonder) with a fence at the end. Beyond the fence was a rather large corn field. Yes, corn. I looked at it up close and I could see them on the cob, on the plant. Weird. So that's where that stuff comes from. I kept expecting Mel Gibson to burst out and annouce "you won't get famous doing this". From the upstairs window, I could see across the field to the rest of the farmland. It's nice to get out of the city.

No comments: