Friday, December 24, 2004

A haggis supper in Glasgae

Heh, how's it gaun? Guid? Aye, crackin, so it is!

Did you understand that?

How about:

Gonnae geeza bottla ginger?

Now that I'm back in Scotland, I'm adjusting back to the accent (and language!) of the west of Scotland. It's amusing how strong everyone's accent seems to me. I was talking to an assistant in Carphone Warehouse in Glasgow and I couldn't understand a few things he said. It's a bit frightening, really.

Today I managed to get back in touch with a common Scottish pursuit - the trip to the chippy. I walked down Glasgow's Buchanan Street eating a Haggis Supper with a can of Irn Bru in my pocket. I thought to myself, "I can't get much more Scottish than this." It was pure quality, soitwiz. Sorry, lapsed into the Glasgow vernacular there...

An amusing thing about travelling from Toronto to Glasgow is the effect it has on your sleeping pattern. Here I am, still up at 4:45am, not especially tired. I got up at around lunchtime today so that kind of fits. My body is still operating on Toronto time even though my location happens to have changed by 5 hours! Maybe I should stay up all night tonight and then when I go to bed at the end of Christmas Eve, I'll be really tired...

1 comment:

Andrew G said...

oh man,

i'm so jealous... remember... if you can find some way of bringing back some chips for me (still hot)... there will be some serious cash coming your way ;-)