Thursday, October 27, 2005

I love "Back to the Future"

For the past six months or so, I've had a kind of nagging craving in the back of my mind that I really should watch Back to the Future. I can't explain it, other than it being like really missing an old friend.

On monday, I signed up with my local video shop and rented the completed Back to the Future trilogy on DVD! Last night I watched the first one and it's still as good as ever. OK, so the special effects are pretty dated by today's standards but the thing I realized was just how great a story it is. I suppose it's the ingredient of time travel that really opens up the plot options to writer(s?) but still I think it's definitely one of the better ones.

Tonight I was watching Back to the Future Part 2 and I noticed something very spooky at the start. Just after the opening credits it states the date as October 26th, 1985. I thought October 26th looked a bit familiar and then I checked today's date. Today is the 27th, meaning I watched part 1 of Back to the Future EXACTLY TWENTY YEARS after it was set! How cool is that? I thought it was noteworthy at least.

Part II was brilliant as well. They really took things to a new level with the plot going back AND forward in time. Especially the idea that someone had gone back in time creating a tangent on the space/time continuum, leaving them unable to go forward in time again to stop him going back because they were now on a different time line. There's not many movies that would attempt to put something as cool as that in there. Sure, their idea of the future wasn't exactly accurate but it'd just be too freaky if everyone really was using wireless Internet, laptops and mobiles. I still want a hoverboard, though.

Tomorrow I'll watch Part III but I think it's safe to say that 30 years later, Back to the Future still has the magic! Great Scott!

1 comment:

రామ ShastriX said...

Always nice to meet another BTTF fan!

I was thinking of the 20th
anniversary
over the 22-23.OCT weekend and missed it due to all the work :-(