Tuesday, November 09, 2004

I Can Only Imagine

Surrounded by Your glory, what will my heart feel?
Will I dance for you Jesus or in awe of you be still?
Will I stand in your presence or to my knees will I fall?
Will I sing hallelujah, will I be able to speak at all?
I can only imagine


From the song I Can Only Imagine by MercyMe.

We did this song recently in worship and I really love it just now. It really captures the contrast of how we would want to respond to our first sight of Jesus balanced against the holiness and amazing intensity of that moment.

There's a video of the song available on Yahoo! Music. I recommend you check it out. (For some reason, it doesn't work with Firefox which is a bit unfortunate. However, you could always fire up Internet Explorer this once, couldn't you?)

3 comments:

Andrew G said...

yeah,

It's a good song. I've heard that the lead singer wrote it after his Father's death.

I don't like it in a worship context though. It's nice musically but there is no action. It's like saying to your wife "Will I love you, will I give you hugs?" Why not just say, "i love you. Here's a hug HMRFH (hug noise)"?

No-where in the Bible do you see a leader saying (in a worship setting), "at some point we may worship him, or maybe we'll dance because of all the stuff he's done. But not right now... let's just imagine what we'll do instead of actively praising Him."

But it is a nice song.

The Ken said...

It's a good point. It's not the most active of songs. I just like the contemplative side of pondering what it'll be like in that moment.

Anonymous said...

I agree with both of you. It's a song of hope...so if you're really needing somehting to look forward to at that moment it's good. I just remember Billy always sang it when we had outreach practice! Cute little Billy.