Friday, November 19, 2004

Where efficiency meets forgetfulness

Have you ever done something really silly and then felt a bit embarrassed for being so dim? I had one of these moments this morning. (and it's not even 9 o'clock yet!)

Yesterday, I realized I hadn't got a cell phone bill for a while so I logged on to Rogers.com to check out if there was a new bill for my phone. Well, lo and behold there was a bill. Not only was there a bill, it was due the day before.

"Oh no!" I cried, "My unblemished record of on-time payments!"

So, off I scurried to my local Rogers Video Store to pay my bill. I decided to overpay by about $2.50 so that I'd end up in credit and hopefully appease the powers that be.

I was confused that I hadn't received an e-mail telling me that my bill was ready, though. I was sure that I'd received that before. I decided to call them up today to see what the dealio was.

(Are you ready? Here comes the embarrassing part...)

I already paid the bill on October 27th! I was so darned efficient I paid it right away and then forgot that I had done so. Consequently, my account is $55 in credit and showing no signs of getting in trouble for late charges! I just need to upgrade my brain to remember what I've done in future!

3 comments:

Linda Hope said...

OH MY GOSH! Kenny, i did the very same thing with our hydro bill! I had already paid the $145 we owed and then i forgot about it. By the time the bill was due i PANICED! And paid ANOTHER $145 out of my own account!! Well, needless to say, we had a nice credit the next time around...and it was eventually sorted out! ;o) haha! Here's to over efficiency!!

Jon L said...

I've also done the same with credit cards bills. I once over paid $200 from my own account that I had previouosly paid with a TACF check. It was crazy. Do you ever wonder why you pay like 20% interest on late payments, but yet make no money with early or overpayments?

The Ken said...

I think overpaying is good for your credit rating, though. I could be wrong on this but someone told me that if you regularly pay bills on time or even overpay by just a small amount, your credit rating gets a bit of a boost. I'm hoping this is the case as I have no credit history in Canada. Back home I've got a credit card with a ridiculously high limit but here I can't get one at all. Maybe once I'm a premanent resident that will be different.